Sunday, April 1, 2007

Story from Toby

I had never thought about being a nurse as I was growing up, but was always fascinated by the Royal Adelaide Hospital Nurses as I saw them from the tram during our frequent visits to the city as a very young girl. They wore ice-cream cone hats on their heads, pink and white check uniforms, a white pinafore, and black stockings and shoes. The Nurses Home was across the road from RAH and it was usual to see one or two groups of nurses in our travels.

I trained to be a telephonist when I left school, and the second year I transferred to Adelaide as I turned 17, to experience city life. Towards the end of this year, I realised that being a telephonist was not for me. My cousin was getting ready to join the Mt Gambier Hospital to commence her training, and the sight of her pink and white check uniform, the white apron, the black stockings and shoes reminded me of my earlier days, and my fascination for the nurses I saw coming and going to RAH.

One day on my way home from a shift at the Franklin Street Telephone Exchange, I called in to the Nurses Board, just to make enquiries about Nursing. An hour later, I emerged, having agreed to commence training in the next Intake at Mt. Gambier Hospital. I chose Mt Gambier because I was really a country girl, and after a year in the City, wanted to be a bit closer to my family, and back in the country. The starting date was in January 1963.


And so began the wonderful friendship with Di Watson and her family. I am so very glad that I switched careers. Today, at age 62 I am still nursing part-time, because I really enjoy what I do.

No comments: