Sunday, April 15, 2007

40 years ago

It occurred to me that it was over 40 years ago that some of us finished our nursing training in Mount Gambier. 40 years! Quite amazing, and some are still continuing with their nursing career.

I come across folk who praise the university training of nurses, and in some ways I do as well, but to me there was nothing like getting a basic training the way we did. We really learned the hard way. I remember the amazing responsibility that we as trainee nurses were expected to manage and we know now how much we didn't know, but we did as we were told and somehow managed.

There's no doubt that university training of nurses is the way for the profession to be more highly regarded, but I have always thought that there should be a way to get better grounding in basic nursing care the way we did. I'm just hard to please I guess. But I have worked with university trained nurses and I wasn't always impressed by their knowledge or skills.

Just my thoughts today.

No comments: