Sunday, April 1, 2007

Toby on Night Duty

I had to do a stint of night duty in Childrens Ward, during my second year. We worked alone in childrens ward on nights, and it was hard work. This particular night I had 13 patients, 5 were babies needing bottle feeding, and there were post op tonsillectomies, a little girl with osteo-myelitis, and 2 children with cystic fibrosis amongst my little patients.

I did not have time to deal with the fact that I did not feel very well. In the morning, after I finished my shift, I called to Di's room to wake her for lectures. She remarked on my strange appearance, and when I looked in her mirror, my face was covered in a rash. And when I looked further, the rash was actually widespread. I had Rubella.

So to Sick Parade I went, and was admitted into Isolation so that I did not spread the virus(probably a case of closing the gate after the horse had bolted). Thank goodness for Mrs Watson, who saved me from this fate. I was taken to the Watson home for my convalesence.

Story provided by Toby.

No comments: